In its seventh year, the Friends, Regional Gallery Caloundra Inc., in conjunction with the Caloundra Regional Gallery, invites artists to submit works in competition for the Local Artists – Local Content 2021 Art Prize.
Up to forty finalists will be included in an exhibition at the Caloundra Regional Gallery with prizes totalling $13,500.
Entries in the Local Artists – Local Content 2021 Art Prize are eligible to be considered for:
- Best of Show: $5000 prize, sponsored by Mary Henzell Investments Pty Ltd
- Excellence Award: $2000 prize, sponsored by Mark and Judy McArdle
- Excellence Award: $2000 prize, sponsored by Mark and Judy McArdle
- Excellence Award: $2000 prize, sponsored by Mark and Judy McArdle and Friends Regional Gallery Caloundra.
- Best Three-Dimensional: $2000 prize, sponsored by Sunshine Coast Council
- People’s Choice Award: $500 prize, sponsored by Geoff Lyons Solicitors Pty Ltd
To be considered for selection, entrants must comply with all entry instructions and conditions.
- Entries open on Monday 2 November 2020
- Entries close on Friday 15 January 2021
- Finalists announced early February 2021
- Finalist works to be delivered on Wednesday 10, Thursday 11 and Friday 12 March 2021 to Caloundra Regional Gallery, between 10am and 4pm.
- Installation of works will take place between 15 and 17 March 2021
- Winners announced Friday 19 March, 2021 at the official exhibition opening.
- Exhibition dates: 19 March to 2 May 2021
- People’s Choice Award announcement 2 May 2021
- Collection of unsold works must be collected Tuesday 4 or Wednesday 5 May 2021, between the hours of 10am and 4pm from the Caloundra Regional Gallery.
- The artist must be a full-time resident of the Sunshine Coast and Noosa Council local government areas. Broadly, the region extends from Glasshouse Mountains in the south, to Pomona in the north and to Kenilworth in the west.
- Only one entry per artist may be submitted.
- All entries must be submitted online through the Caloundra Regional Gallery website.
- Entry fee of $30 (non-refundable) payable by credit card online only.
- Ensure you have submitted the correct information on your entry, no additional changes can be made after the submission has been complete.
- You must provide one digital image of your artwork, uploaded to the online entry form. The image must be jpeg format only (2MB maximum file size).
- File name should be clearly labelled with the artist's surname (capitals), first name (lowercase) and title of the work. eg. SMITH_John_MonaLisa
- You must include an artist statement about your artwork (100 words maximum)
- Applications open on Monday 2 November and must be submitted by Friday 15 January 2021, 5.00 pm AEST (Queensland time).
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant, executed within two years prior to the entry closing date.
- All expenses incurred in the submission of the entry are the responsibility of the applicant.
- All works entered into the prize must be available for display for the duration of the exhibition (see Key Dates).
- No work submitted shall have won a prize in any previous Local Artists – Local Content art prize exhibition.
- The content of your entry should reflect some aspect of living on the Sunshine Coast – this could be a response to the natural or built environment, landmarks or people.
- If selected as a finalist, the artwork must be sufficiently dried/cured before delivery to the gallery. The finished work must not exceed 152.4cm or 60 inches in either length or width. Bas or low-relief artwork in which materials protrude slightly from a flat background to a depth of no more than 5cm is also eligible.
- The three-dimensional works must not exceed 50cm x 50cm x 50cm and 20kg in weight.
- If selected as a finalist, the work must be framed (a stretched canvas is considered framed) and fitted with D rings 100mm from the top of the work.
- Finalists for the Art Prize will allow their works to be reproduced by print and electronic media, in either full or detail form, for the advertising and promotion of the exhibition and for the exhibition catalogue.
- Sunshine Coast Council/Caloundra Regional Gallery reserves the right to determine the most appropriate method for displaying 2D works, and to refuse to display any works deemed inappropriate or unsafe.
Delivery of finalists artworks
Finalist artwork must clearly be marked on the back with the artist name.
Artwork will only be accepted during the specified period and times (see Key dates) to Caloundra Regional Gallery.
Delivery must be made in person, by a nominated representative (such as a friend, relative or artist’s agent) or by a courier/freight company. Deliveries will not be accepted via Australia Post.
Any costs incurred in the delivery or transport to or from the exhibition are the responsibility of the artist and no liability shall be accepted by either the Friends, Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc. or Caloundra Regional Gallery. The artist shall be responsible for their own insurance of their artwork.
Licensing the work
The artist warrants that the work is original and does not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
All finalist artworks must be available for sale with a 20% commission of the sale price to be payable to Friends Regional Gallery Caloundra Inc.
The artist grants a non-exclusive licence to Friends, Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc. to reproduce the work in material form, in either full or detail form, to photograph, publish and/or communicate it to the public for prize-related purposes, and anything incidental to such purposes, by the Caloundra Regional Gallery and sponsors, including marketing, publicity, educational and publication uses for the gallery, the prize and its exhibition in all media, including but not limited to electronic/digital, broadcasting and print media, for a period of two years from the opening date of the exhibition.
Selection of works
The finalists for the Local Artists – Local Content 2021 Art Prize are selected by a panel chosen by Friends, Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc.
The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
Finalists and consequent prize winners will be announced to the media and published on the Friends, Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc and Caloundra Regional Gallery website and social media (see Key dates). Prize winners will be advised beforehand.
Artists whose work is chosen for display may be asked to provide additional information (such as biographical details) to assist with preparation of prize-related material.
Winning artists agree to make themselves available for the purposes of promotion and publicity at times, dates and places reasonably requested by the Friends, Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc. or Caloundra Regional Gallery.
By submitting this entry the entrant is consenting to the use of their contact information for the purposes of receiving information in relation to the Local Artists – Local Content Art Prize.
Enter the Local Artists – Local Content Art Prize 2021.