Sunshine Coast artists are diverse, plentiful and exceptionally talented, a fact evidenced by the stunning Local Artists - Local Content Art Prize 2023 exhibition, on show now at Caloundra Regional Gallery.
The exhibition an initiative of Friends Regional Gallery Caloundra Inc. showcases 40 established and emerging artists, each expressing their understanding of the environment either through painting, drawing, printmaking or sculpture.
It also gives visitors a unique opportunity to meet the artists, take part in a range of workshops and talks and get a deeper understanding of the works. A schedule of events is available on the gallery website.
Caloundra Regional Gallery Manager and Curator Jo Duke said that while the 40 finalist works were available to view online, a visit to the gallery was recommended to really appreciate the detail of the pieces on show.
“When viewed together, the works highlight the way our artists view, work and create in this region, from varied and unique natural landscapes, people and communities – all different ways to see, feel and connect.
“You will see artists who work with the more traditional mediums such as oil, acrylic, gouache on canvas through to works on paper including watercolours, prints and digital photography.
“Then there are the works by artists who work in 3D with clay, wood, resin, textiles and found objects, plus artists who combine the 2D with the 3D to create something totally unexpected, pushing ideas of perspective.”
Sunshine Coast Arts Portfolio Councillor Rick Baberowski said there was an impressive and delightful range of works on show in the Local Artists – Local Content Art Prize 2023 exhibition would have presented a wonderful challenge to the judges.
“I offer my thanks and congratulations to all finalists, belong selected for the exhibition is a real achievement, however special mentions to our winners, Benjamin Hedstrom for Creek Reflection I (Coolum), Tess Hagan for FRIDAY KNOCK-OFFS and Cindy Mills, for her work Sister Spirits,” Cr Baberowski said.
“From across our whole region, our Sunshine Coast artists are represented in this exhibition, and I urge and encourage everyone to support them by visiting the gallery. Visitors can also be the judge when they visit the Gallery and enter the People’s Choice Award.
“With an eye to the future, visitors can also view the Local Student Art Prize exhibition, which provides a valuable snapshot of the region from a young person’s perspective.
“From artists as young as six right through to 17 years, this enlightening collection shows us how well are we supporting our region’s youth in developing their skills as well as what are they captured by, and through this body of work, we can really listen to what these pieces and our youth are telling us.”
The Regional Gallery at Caloundra presents a dynamic exhibition program featuring leading national and local artists, complemented by immersive public programs, educational programs, tours and events.
Stay up to date with all the latest news, events and exhibitions by subscribing to the e-newsletter at gallery.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au or following @caloundraregionalgallery on facebook and Instagram.
Caloundra Regional Gallery is open from 10am, Tuesday to Sunday, and located at 22 Omrah Avenue, Caloundra.
Finalists’ names, suburbs and works
- Rachel ANNING (Kings Beach), Dreamed I was
- Linda ARMSTRONG (Sunrise Beach), SAFARI
- Sara BELL (Cooran), Harbourside Pelicans
- Megan CORRIE (Caloundra), Golden Days
- Derby CROSS (Maroochydore), Life and Death of Sea Urchins
- Libby DERHAM (Peregian Springs), Amongst the Wallum
- Rowley DRYSDALE (Cooroy), The Way of Water
- Carol FORSTER (Buderim), Richmond Birdwing Butterfly Sketch
- Tess HAGAN (Mooloolah), FRIDAY KNOCK-OFFS
- Benjamin HEDSTROM (Peregian Springs), Creek Reflection I (Coolum)
- Robyn HILLS (Caloundra), Morning Tea with my neighbour
- Bernardine HINE (Palmview), Rusted Gate
- Brandi HUGHES (Maroochydore), Summer Snack
- Petalia HUMPHREYS (Peregian Beach), SWPE #5&6
- John HUTTON (Coolum Beach), Cooroy Bridge
- Rose IRON (Sunrise Beach), Ready To Launch
- Carlie JOHNSTON (Mudjimba), The Abyss
- Helen LAWSON (Noosaville), Bathe Between the Flags
- Wendy McGRATH aka Lakeland (Lake MacDonald), Petrichor
- Bee MELLOR (Maroochydore), Littoral Zone
- Cindy MILLS (Tewantin), Sister Spirits
- Vicky MURRAY (Eumundi), Her Name Is Shona
- Hope O'CHIN (Kings Beach), Metamorphosis of Hope
- Trevor PURVIS (Cooroy), View to Mt Cooroora from my studio
- Kim RAYNES (Buddina), Man and his Dog
- Jan ROEBUCK (Pelican Waters), Bribie Breakthrough
- Phillip ROLTON (Noosa Heads), First Light on Little Cove
- Eugene RUBULS (Maroochydore), A swell time
- Linda SALE (Dulong), Through Leaves
- June SARTRACOM (Mooloolaba), Cascade Series 1
- Karina SHARPE (Currimundi), Bee Serious Please
- Dianne SMITH (Peregian Springs), Watching the colours change
- Janine SMITH (Battery Hill), High Tides
- Wayne SMITH (Cooroy), Light on the Ridge
- Tara SPICER (Yaroomba), Beneath the Surface
- Bianca TAINSH (Weyba Downs), Archive of Meaning & Matter
- Jacqueline WALLACE (Dicky Beach), Silver Linings
- Pamela WALSH (Lake Macdonald), Natures Gift
- Charlotte WENSLEY (Peregian Beach), The Visitors: Arrival
- Ann WHITE (Pomona), Yandina Railway Bridge