The Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2019 is a national contemporary two-dimensional (2D) award presented by Sunshine Coast Council. The acquisitive Art Prize awards the winner with $25,000 cash.
A non-acquisitive Highly Commended Prize of $5,000 cash, sponsored by the De Deyne family, will also be announced at the official Art Prize exhibition opening.
A non-acquisitive People’s Choice Prize of $2,500 cash, sponsored by Caloundra Chamber of Commerce, will be awarded to the artist receiving the most votes during the exhibition.
Finalists will also be eligible for the Sunshine Coast Art Prize Residency, a two week artist residency and workshop program at Montville Country Cabins supported by Caloundra Regional Gallery.
- Entrants must be 18+. One application only per artist.
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant, executed within the two years prior to the entry closing date.
- The Sunshine Coast Art Prize is open to any Australian resident living and working in Australia in any two dimensional (2D) medium.
- All works entered into the prize must be available for display, and for purchase (should it be selected as the winner), for the duration of the exhibition.
- Artwork which has already been sold will not be eligible for inclusion and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Artwork that is flat, possessing height and width, but no depth, such as a drawing, print, photograph, textile or work on canvas is eligible for the prize.
- The finished work must not exceed 152.4 cm or 60 inches in either length or width. Bas or low-relief artwork in which materials protrude slightly from a flat background to a depth of no more than 5 cm is also eligible.
- The work must be framed (a stretched canvas is considered framed) and fitted with D rings 100 mm from the top of the work.
- Submission of three artwork images is mandatory. However, only the first uploaded artwork (nominated work) will be considered for selection. The two additional works are compulsory to substantiate the entrant’s submission as evidence of their arts practice.
- No work submitted shall have been entered into the Sunshine Coast Art Prize in any previous year.
- Entries representing partnerships between individuals will be accepted as one entry and on the understanding that each partner’s contribution is deemed equal.
- Artists pre-selected for the Sunshine Coast Art Prize will allow their works to be reproduced by print and electronic media in the advertising and promotion of the exhibition and for the exhibition catalogue.
- If the work is selected as the winner of the prize, the artist must be able to transfer full title of the work to Sunshine Coast Council.
- All expenses incurred in the submission of the entry are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Sunshine Coast Council/Caloundra Regional Gallery reserves the right to determine the most appropriate method for displaying 2D works, and to refuse to display any works deemed inappropriate or unsafe.
- Employees of Sunshine Coast Council are not eligible to enter the prize.
- All entries into the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2019 must be submitted online through the Caloundra Regional Gallery website.
- Please ensure you have submitted the correct information on your entry, no additional changes can be made after the submission has been complete.
- A complete online submission means the upload of the following:
- Artist contact details.
- Entry fee of $40 (non-refundable) payable by credit card online.
- Three image files. One image of each artwork. Images must be jpeg format only (300dpi, 2MB). Only the nominated image will be considered for the Sunshine Coast Art Prize.
- Image 1: The nominated artwork must have been executed within the two years prior to the entry closing date. (Only this work will be considered for entry into the prize.)
- Image 2 and 3: The two supporting images do not need to adhere to art prize guidelines.
- Each file name should be clearly labelled with the artist's surname (capitals), first name (lowercase), image number and title of the work. eg. SMITH_John_01_MonaLisa, SMITH_John_02_StarryNight, SMITH_John_03_PersistenceofMemory.
- An artist statement about the nominated work (maximum 150 words, in Word doc format only, 2MB)
- An artist CV giving current biographical and/or exhibition information. One page (A4) in Word doc format only, 2MB. No additional material, text or images will be viewed by the panel.
Applications open on 30 January 2019 and must be submitted by 8 April 2019, 5.00 pm AEST (Queensland time).
Pre-selection / Judging
All entries submitted will be presented for review to a pre-selection panel, from which 40 finalist works will be selected to exhibit in the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2019 exhibition.
Artworks will be shortlisted by a professional panel based on a set of curatorial rationale including concept, workmanship and originality.
Once the pre-selection process has been completed, all entrants will be advised of the outcome. Finalists will be announced in April.
Each year an independent judge is invited to select the winner of the Sunshine Coast Art Prize, the Highly Commended winner and the Sunshine Coast Artist Residency winner from the 40 finalists in the Sunshine Coast Art Prize exhibition. The judge for the 2019 Sunshine Coast Art Prize is Alison Kubler.
The pre-selection panel and judge's decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Participation in the Prize
The 40 finalists selected for the Sunshine Coast Art Prize will receive further details on participation in the Prize.
The artworks will be exhibited in the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2019 exhibition from 24 July 2019 until 15 September 2019 at the Caloundra Regional Gallery, Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
Freight of the 40 finalist works to and from the exhibition will be organised by the Caloundra Regional Gallery. Collection of the finalist works will commence in June 2019.
Return of finalist works will occur approximately 2-4 weeks after the closure of the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2019 exhibition.
Publication and Copyright
Sunshine Coast Council/Sunshine Coast Art Prize assumes all entries are original and are the works and/or property of the entrant with all rights granted therein.
Sunshine Coast Council is the sole owner of the information collected from the entry forms and any other information submitted, and will not sell, share or rent the information to others except for the sole purpose of advertising or promoting the Sunshine Coast Art Prize. The personal information of the applicant is protected from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other misuse by network and system security.
By submitting this entry the entrant is consenting to the use of their contact information for the purposes of receiving information about the outcome of their entry in the Sunshine Coast Art Prize.
Should the contact information provided change between the time that the entry is submitted and the results are announced, please contact the Caloundra Regional Gallery via email at email@example.com to update your details.
The names of finalists will be published on the Caloundra Regional Gallery website once a decision has been made.
Finalists will be asked to provide a high-resolution file (300dpi 10 - 15MB) of their submission for promotional material or publication. The finalist agrees that the artwork may be reproduced by the gallery for critical review, archival and/or promotional purposes. Sunshine Coast Council/Sunshine Coast Art Prize is not liable for any copyright infringement on the part of the entrant and will at all times attribute authorship of the work.
For further information contact:
Sunshine Coast Art Prize
Caloundra Regional Gallery
Ph (07) 5420 8299
For art prize related enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general gallery enquiries: email@example.com
Sunshine Coast Council offers support for the Sunshine Coast Art Prize through the Caloundra Regional Gallery team, during work hours only.
Sunshine Coast Council reserves the right to update these terms and conditions at any time.
Enter the Sunshine Coast Art Prize.